Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on December 17, 1936, Jorge Mario Bergoglio became Pope Francis on March 13, 2013, when he was named the 266th pope of the Roman Catholic Church. Bergoglio, the first pope from the Americas, took his papal title after St. Francis of Assisi of Italy.
Pope Francis. Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Bergoglio worked briefly as a chemical technologist and nightclub bouncer before beginning seminary studies. He was ordained a Catholic priest in 1969, and from 1973 to 1979 was Argentina’s provincial superior of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits).
Created cardinal: 21 February 2001, by John Paul II
23 hours ago · Pope Francis is welcomed by the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, upon his arrival in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday.
Feb 03, 2019 · Pope Francis will spend three days in Abu Dhabi, the UAE’s capital, where he will attend an interreligious conference with Jewish and Christian leaders.
Pope Francis will visit Japan in November of this year. The pope confirmed the timing of the upcoming trip during remarks to journalists on the flight from Rome to Panama City, Panama, Wednesday.
Jan 27, 2019 · Pope Francis invited a crowd of young Catholics gathered in Panama City to follow the footsteps of the Virgin Mary, calling her the biggest “influencer” of all times. “The young woman of
The Document on Human Fraternity, which I signed today in Abu Dhabi with my brother the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, invites all persons who have faith in God and faith in human fraternity to unite and work together. w2.vatican.va/content/france
42 minutes ago
· TwitterGod is with those who seek peace. From heaven He blesses every step which, on this path, is accomplished on earth. #UAE #ApostolicJourney
1 hour ago
· TwitterI am about to leave for the United Arab Emirates. I am visiting that Country as a brother, in order to write a page of dialogue together, and to travel paths of peace together. Pray for me!
1 day ago
· TwitterConsecrated life is a living encounter with the Lord in his people. It is a call to the faithful obedience of daily life, and to the unexpected surprises from the Spirit. It is a vision of what we need to embrace in order to experience joy: Jesus.
2 days ago
· TwitterMay the Lord give us the grace of memory and of hope, in order to go forward with perseverance on the journey of our life. #SantaMarta
3 days ago
· TwitterDon Bosco had the courage to look at reality with human eyes and with the eyes of God. May every priest imitate him by seeing reality with human eyes and with the eyes of God. #SantaMarta
4 days ago
‘Pope Francis has questions to answer’: America’s Catholics in crisis over abuse scandals Across the US, the church is reeling from the fallout as at least 13 states have launched investigations
Wim Wenders’ new documentary, “Pope Francis – A Man of His Word,” is intended to be a personal journey with Pope Francis, rather than a biographical documentary about him. The pope…